By N. J. Crowson
This textbook presents a accomplished account of Britain’s uneasy dating with continental Europe from 1918 to the current day.
Unlike different books at the topic, the writer considers 'Europe' in its broadest experience and examines a much broader heritage than simply Britain's family members with the ecu Union (EU). This comprises pre-war heritage and the position of key political associations outdoors the ecu corresponding to the Council of Europe and the Western eu Union.
Subjects coated include:
- how the event of the inter-war years and the second one international battle contributed to shaping attitudes in the direction of the EU
- european views on Britain in addition to the opposite direction around
- key theories on eu integration
- the altering nature of Britain's worldwide function
- issues of sovereignty and legitimacy
- the position of political events and the Europeanisation of nationwide govt
- the upward thrust of Euroscepticism in British politics and the way ‘Europe’ has develop into entwined within the ideological battles of the most political parties.
Exploring the political, diplomatic and armed forces dating among Britain and Europe, this obtainable and wide-ranging textbook is key middle analyzing for college students of British and ecu heritage and politics.
Read or Download Britain and Europe: A Political History Since 1918 PDF
Best international affairs books
The Routledge guide of Asian Regionalism is a definitive creation to, and research of, the improvement of regionalism in Asia, together with insurance of East Asia, Southeast Asia and South Asia. The participants interact in a accomplished exploration of what's arguably the main dynamic and demanding quarter on the planet.
John Quincy and Louisa Adams’s unforeseen trip that modified every little thing. American Phoenix is the sweeping, riveting story of a grand old event throughout forbidding oceans and frozen tundra—from the bustling ports and towering birches of Boston to the distant reaches of pre-Soviet Russia, from an exile in arctic St.
There's no scarcity of literature addressing the workings, effect, and value of NATO and the Warsaw Pact separately or how the 2 blocs confronted off through the a long time of the chilly battle. even though, little has been written in regards to the quite a few intrabloc tensions that plagued either alliances in the course of the chilly battle or approximately how these tensions affected the alliances’ operation.
Steven Hook and John Spanier’s vintage textual content, American international coverage considering international battle II, celebrates its 20th variation. It has remained the normal for directing scholars throughout the complexities of yank overseas coverage via displaying how contemporary advancements verify the book’s overarching theme—that there's an American “style” of overseas coverage imbued with a special experience of nationwide exceptionalism.
- Macmillan, Khrushchev and the Berlin Crisis, 1958-1960 (Cold War History)
- Explanation and Progress in Security Studies: Bridging Theoretical Divides in International Relations
- The Other Missiles of October: Eisenhower, Kennedy, and the Jupiters, 1957-1963
- The Art of World-Making: Nicholas Greenwood Onuf and his Critics
Extra info for Britain and Europe: A Political History Since 1918
Britain and Europe: A Political History Since 1918 by N. J. Crowson